Saturday, February 28, 2009

My last weekend of summer

This weekend I was able to have a bit of a summer vacation before school started. Friday I went to the beach and had a good time being a beach bum for the 1st time in my life. Then, Saturday I left to go camping and kayaking at Myall Lake. It was about a 2 hour drive north of Newcastle, pretty remote, but it was beautiful. We camped on this strip of land, maybe 2 miles in width with the lake on one side and the ocean on the other side. While we were at camp, I was surprised how close the "wildlife" came close to us. We saw a few dingos sniffing around, and some sort of an iguana, which was rather large, maybe 4 ft in length. I wasn't close to my camera otherwise I would have gotten a few pictures. Today we kayaked down a river back to town, which turned out to be a lot longer than we had anticipated, and a lot harder, because we were going against the current, but overall it was good fun.

The center of campus, I guess they decided to have a nature reserve right in the middle. A good idea to some degree.....you can see koalas, but it is also a mosquito heaven, or as the locals call them, "mossies"



Nobby's Beach (as seen from atop Fort Scratchly)


Tree at campsite


Sunset over the lake we kayaked in
Posted by Picasa

1 comment: